Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I see London, I see France...

One of the many things we wanted to try to do while in Europe was travel and Annecy, France came highly recommended to us by a few people before we even got to Switzerland. Lucky for us, it is just over the French border and is known for having one of the best street markets in France, so we took a little Sunday trip to check it out. We got up and took the train from Gland to Geneva where we found out (surprise!) that we had to take the bus to Annecy - oops. It was only a 90 minute trip (through the gorgeous Alps) and well worth it for the incredible day we had. If we can squeeze in another day before we head to Africa, we'll definitely be back!

Our first European train ride. Big day!

The market


This taffy stuff was incredible and they had every single flavor you could ever image. I think I ate my weight in free samples...


Olives and tapenade. I love you, Europe.


Some man offered me a free oyster. I watched him open it and kill it. And then I ate it.

Donkey sausage - of course we had to try it...




Affordable sushi! ....because we needed a mid-morning snack...?

GIANT meringues in a billion flavors

I got chocolate :) 

David went with the baguette

Hello Alps

Pizza for lunch

The couple next to us left and didn't eat all of their dessert....so I took it, and David took a picture. It was delicious and he thanked me later.

The old prison



Lac d'Annecy

Pont des Amours


We obviously hadn't eaten enough at this point, so we had to try real "chestnuts roasted on an open fire." So Christmasy!

The city from the other side of the lake










And we finished off the evening with a "gaufre" (French for giant, amazing, delicious waffle covered in powdered sugar) and hot, fresh crepes - we had one Nutella and Grand Marnier crepe. And then went back for another Nutella.

Sunday really may have been the best day I've had since we've been here. Our weeks are full of class, deep discussions and lots of community time, so it was great to be able to get away and relax by ourselves for the day. And France uses the Euro, so everything is so much cheaper than in Switzerland! 


2 comments:

  1. OMGosh, I'm jealous. I really want to come visit you guys.

    Love ya,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think you're great. Keep up the awesome blog posts, they make my day!

    ReplyDelete