Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's Baking? April


This month's "What's Baking" challenge was hosted by Leanne at Food, Fun and Love and the theme was Spring. Of course, I waited until the last minute, but when I saw a recipe online mentioning lavender, I knew that it would be my "secret" ingredient. There are a lot of different recipes with lavender out there, but I wanted something that would actually be eaten, so I went with Lavender Honey Shortbread Cookies.

They're definitely a departure from other cookies I love (which usually involve lots of chocolate and/or peanut butter) but I was really impressed with the springy, floral flavor and buttery consistency. They're not too sweet and would be great for breakfast with a cup of coffee or chai tea. Give these little guys a try!

Lavender Honey Shortbread Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp lavender
6 oz. butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, salt, baking powder and lavender in bowl and stir to combine.

In an electric mixer, cream together butter, honey, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.

Pour the mixture onto parchment paper, roll into a log, and place in the refrigerator to chill until set (about an hour). When you're ready to bake, just slice off the cookies you want, sprinkle with sugar, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.


1 comment:

  1. I love using lavender! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete