Friday, April 30, 2010

Book Review: Moloka'i

If you haven't been keep track over to the right side of the my blog, I've been trying to read 100 books this year. I'm a little behind but I keep getting sucked into long books and, even though I want to hit 100, I'm trying to put quality over quantity.

Anyways, I just finished book #28 and haven't done any book reviews yet...but #28 may have been my favorite yet. I want everyone to read it so I won't give anything away but it's worth checking out (no pun intended).

Moloka'i is the story of Rachel Kalama and her life on a secluded "leper" island in Hawaii. It is incredibly well-written and historically/culturally accurate as well as a touching story, which chronicles Rachel's entire life, which she lives to the fullest even under the toughest of circumstances.

See? Shortest review ever because I won't give anything away. There's nothing too surprising about the story but it's sweet. And it has a great message.

I started Moloka'i right after finishing Random Family, which I wouldn't suggest. Random Family was about a family living in the Bronx and everyone ended up in jail with babies at 14 or selling drugs. It was emotionally tough and mentally draining - too many names, too many places and wayyyyy too many pages. So Moloka'i started off really slow for me and I was dreading it, especially after Hawaiian words started popping up. But eventually I got into it and I think you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment