Monday, May 17, 2010

Haiti


It's hard for me to believe that just 24 hours ago, I was stepping off a plane in Ft. Lauderdale from Haiti. The trip was incredible. I didn't really have any expectations going into the trip but everything about it blew. me. away. I'm still digesting most of what I saw and experienced while we were down there but it has given me a totally new outlook on my life, especially as I sit here in quiet and air conditioning - as neither of these would be possible in Haiti.

And as thankful as I am for what I have here, I really miss Haiti. I miss the chaos, the noise, the honking of cars and barking of dogs. I miss the people, the disorder of streets without traffic signs/lights and being called a "blanc." I miss dancing with kids, talking with my hands and the hospitality of everyone we met. I miss the sweet family we stayed with, Claudine, Jessica, Michelle, Christopher and all the sweet kids from the orphanage and school. It's hard to do anything without thinking of them and what they're doing right now, because whatever it is it is in extreme heat and poverty and likely includes a lot of dirt and mosquito bites. It just doesn't seem fair.

So thank you to everyone who prayed for us or supported us financially. It was literally a trip I'll never forget. More to come as I unpack my mind, my heart, and my suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment